Monday, June 5, 2017

Fwd: hi



Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Seraphin Decker <seraphin.decker@myldsmail.net>
Date: December 2, 2015 at 6:00:12 AM PST
To: Robin Decker <robinlynnd@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: hi

Heyyyyy sorry I didn't get to write on Monday. I spent all day trying to fix the Internet at one of the ward members house but it didn't give in ha. We spent all day just talking though so it was cool cuz she's cool. On Christmas I'm gonna use skype at her house so you'll get to see her. She said she sent you a friend request on facebook but maybe she confused you with someone else haha. 
Anywayssssss, this last week we had a lot of ups and downs. ha. We had to postpone Julianes baptism because she got rushed to the hospital on the day of her baptismal interview. It was because of the tempurature at her work. The heat was crazy last week, I'm still alive though so no worries. We have a couple other families that we're working with: Jirlane is a 17 year old girl that just got married and is gonna have the wedding reception next year. We talked to her about eternal marriage and it was a pretty cool lesson. Her mom Pina is super cool too and we talked to them about how we can be blessed with an eternal family. It's a beautiful family of 5 plus Jirlane's husband so we're really trying to work hard and get this family sealed one day. We have some other people that are good investigators but we'll have to wait to talk about them another day. 
I'll talk about my companion now, I know you always ask about him and I always forget to talk about him ha. His name is Elder Ramirez and he's from Mexico. He's 26 and is already studied to be a doctor. He was born in the church and has 1 brother who is less active these days. He's a super smart, shy, quiet but humble kid. He takes time to really study the scriptures and understand them to be able to apply and teach the doctrines that he learns. We honestly have nothing in common but we laugh a lot and get along fine. He honestly has become a good friend of mine. 
On Thanksgiving I forgot that it was Thanksgiving. We ate the usual rice and beans haha but we had good news this week even with the lack of turkey. Next month we're gonna be able to open up a branch here in Amélia Rodrigues ! :D That's amazing news, at least to me ha. The members here deserve it. We saw one of our recent converts and the lady that presented the church to her out visiting people yesterday and they passed by when we were making a street contact. They screamed "Elder !" and waved and laughed. I honestly felt like I saw a glimpse of heaven and it made me think of how great a blessing it is to be a part of this work and see the happiness that it brings to people. The recent convert, Margarida, has a glow in her eyes that is impossible to not see and it lit up my day because we were in the middle of being rejected hahaha. I don't know if you've heard this story, probably have. But I can't remember what country it took place in but the preaching by our church was banned by the government, and one of the leaders goes, "okay they can't preach, but what are we gonna do about the light in their eyes?" So that's makes me ask, what is it when people look at you ? I pray that that's the same light that people see in my eyes. I shared a quote in our last district meeting with the other missionaries that I really really like...it goes like this: Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. 

Don't be afraid to be great. Don't be afraid to be who you were made to be. Go out and touch someone today, someone out there needs you. Pray always. Study the words of prophets and apostolos. Be an example of the believers. Don't give up. If you have a desire to be great or to do something great then chase that dream until you can't go anymore. I pray that God is always with you. 
Thank you for being you. 


--
Élder Serph Alain Decker
        Missão Brasil Salvador 
A Igreja de Jesus Cristo dos Santos
            Dos Ultimos Dias

No comments:

Post a Comment