Monday, June 5, 2017

Fwd: Brasil, Salvador



Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Seraphin Decker <seraphin.decker@myldsmail.net>
Date: November 9, 2015 at 1:40:47 PM PST
To: Robin Decker <robinlynnd@gmail.com>
Subject: Brasil, Salvador

Yeah I was thinking about the whole baptism and leadership thing and it's just that there are missionaries that just talk about these things and it turns into a "me, you" thing and not an "us" thing. The baptisms are ours not mine or yours, but a lot of missionaries don't get it still. And about being district leader, I never said anything because here in Brasil the missionaries use subir (go up) and descer (do down) to talk about leadership positions and it makes it sound like District Leaders and Zone Leaders are more important that others so it never occured to me to talk about it. I'm sorry though, I know I should've shared those facts with you. 

So we actually had to postpone Juvenal's baptism. Satan's been working with him alot. His mom "accepted" Jesus when she died so he's really scared to be baptized and die soon after. We tried to explain to him that if he dies he's gonna want to have been baptized but he said he needs time to think so we postponed it for now. He still is going to church and what not so it's good. Please keep him in your prayers :) We're planning on having another baptism this week too, a woman named Margarida. She's a single mom and she's loving the church. She committed to being baptized but she feels like she'd be betraying God because she has been Catholic her whole life. She said she knows she has to be baptized and she's feels that all of what we're telling is true. It was cool though because in the lessons I feel like I learn more than the people I teach. We talked to her about how John the Baptist had his purpose in baptizing but when Christ came John's disciples were to follow Christ. We tried to apply this her and tell her how the Catholic church help to gain faith in Christ and how it prepared her to receive something better, the fulness of the gospel. It was like a light lit up in the room as the Spirit bore testimony. Teaching is by far my favorite part of being a misisonary, but importantly teaching with the Spirit is what makes it so sweet. 

I don't know if you all remember Elder Alencar, he was one of the first Elders that I met here in Brasil and he was my companion in Salvador. He's going home this week. It kind of sucks but life goes on hahaha. He said he'll invite me to his wedding too ;) I went on splits with him and we talked and it made me do a lot of reflecting of what I want to be able to think and say as I look back on my mission when i only have 1 week left.....I have a lot to do haha. But I honestly will be heartbroken when I have to say goodbye to these people that I've learned to love so much. 

This week in church we had a cool experience. So we try and make sacrament meeting for our investigators as spiritual of an experience as we can. (as it should be every Sunday) and I tell them to close their eyes and think of Christ during the blessing and passing of the sacrament. This week I didn't have to sit with any investigators so I was a little more laid back and at peace but I realized that I'd never done what I tell my investigators to do. So as the sacrament was being passed I closed my eyes, thought of the sacrament hymn and thought of Christ. I imagined what he looks like, how his voice would sound and his experience in the garden. I felt like I was in a whole other world and I had never felt such a peaceful, heavenly feeling like the feeling I had during sacrament meeting this week. Naturally tears of joy came and I was pretty sad when the meeting went on and the speakers started speaking. I thought a lot about what happend in those short 10-15 minutes but that's what every sacrament meeting should be like for us. It should be A LOT more then bread, water, and a nice prayer. It's body of the Savior himself being passed to you and that Spirit will be with you throughout that whole week if you let it. 

I'm beyond grateful for this mission that I'm serving and for the things that my Father in Heaven has taught me. I pray that God is with all of you, and I know He is. 

Till next week 

(mom, when you forward these emails, can you add Dallin is the group, he asked me to send him my emails, but I know you edit them and all that jazz. Thank you :) Love you <3 )



--
Élder Serph Alain Decker
        Missão Brasil Salvador 
A Igreja de Jesus Cristo dos Santos
            Dos Ultimos Dias

No comments:

Post a Comment