Tuesday, October 7, 2014

First Hello from MTC


Oi Mae! Tudo Bem! It's so good to open up my e-mail and see my inbox full of e-mail's from you, thank you ! I hope everything is well at home because I've been praying for y'all. If not we have a problem. The MTC is great! My companion, Elder Allison, is super chill, fun, smart, hardworking, and just everything I need in a companhero. Our district have 12 missionarios (6 Elders and 4 Sisters) and they are all awesome. We have the largest district because most of us were supposed to be going to Sau Paulo but the Lord wanted us here and each and every day I see why. I've learned to love them for who they are because they continue to help me and be an example to me everyday. Portuguese is actually a lot like espanol in a way but at the same time it's not, but I'm actually catching on pretty well, ALL thanks to my Heavenly Father of course. It was so funny because I was the first missionario to enter the classroom and he only speaks Portuguese to us, so watching everyone else go through the struggle of trying to figure out what he's saying was so funny! The food is okay but it's not really a big deal. They work hard for us to be fed with meals so I'm grateful for that. I got play some basketball twice and it was good to get out and let loose a little bit, especially through basketball (I promised the sisters I'd play volleyball with them today so I have to do that on my P day -_- haha no worries though it'll be fun. My district leader, Elder Boyd, is so so so so so so so amazing it's insane. When he was called to district leader i was kind of like, "Okay he's just in the calling to be in the calling." You know and every single meeting or gym time or lunch time he proves to me that our Branch presidency is called of God and were inspired to call Elder Boyd as our district leader. 

As y'all know, we watched Conference this weekend and I was telling all of the Elders that this was the first time i had watched every single session of conference. I wasn't alone haha but that's a tradition of my own that i'll never forget to do. Words can't describe how grateful I am for our beloved prophets and the inspired words they had to share with all of us. Our classroom teacher told us to go into conference with a few questions we wanted answered and EVERY SINGLE QUESTION I HAD WAS ANSWERED. Here's just a few of my favorite talks:

1. Brother Robins talk and how he told us that God's praise will always be more important than man's praise. We should never ever lower the Lord's standards to justify your behavior. We are and should always be God fearing people because we are accountable to God and no one else. 

2. Just one little thought about Neil L. Andersen's talk when he said you say more about yourself when taking about someone else. And that made me think like okay maybe someone else does deserve to be ridiculed and exposed a little bit but who is ultimately the judge of that. And applying it to myself, Why can't I show a little class and humility and just not say anything at all. Like mama always says, "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all." 

3. Tad R. Callister's talk was amazing, I loved it and I hope y'all had/have the chance to hear it. A couple thought on that: 
Take control of your life and Make The Change. Embrace voluntary, whole heartened, obedience. Again, God's opinion > man's opinion. Accept trials as they come, because they will do nothing but strengthen you. Yes, we are nothing without God but, with Him we can do all things. Do not let the adversary convince you otherwise or try and make you feel unworthy or not good enough. We are all destined for greatness so have confidence, dream, have faith, and believe. 

4.  Eduardo Gavarret said pray for a desire to be better disciples and go out and act. 

5.  Quentin L. Cook said Decisions Determine Destiny just like you would always say to me mom and sorry I was too childish and stubborn to take head to that. 
I also felt like he was talking to me when he said to find a balance of sports, media, and other things but still keeping the important things like church, temple attendance, FHE, and scripture study at the top of the priority list like they should be. 

6.  President Eyring said we need revelation to answer the most important questions throughout our lives and I've already seen God's hand in my life, leading me and answering prayers and inspiring me to act or say something and it's the greatest feeling in the world when you recognize him.

7.   Carol McConkie spoke and said something along the lines of whirlwinds and etc. will come (Tempations of Satan) and it shall have NO power over you and that was amazing to hear, personally. And she's 1000% right, If God is with us, who can beat us ?

8.   M. Russell Ballard gave a great talk and opened my eyes to realize that conversion isn't and shouldn't be a one time thing. We should be trying to constantly come unto christ and be converted. 

Now for the big dogs!  

9.  Jefferey R. Holland spoke directly to me, Serph Decker, at least it felt like. At lunch the elders and I spoke about how in Brazil we're going to see so much poverty and opportunity to serve and Jefferey R. Holland talked just about that. "Are We Not All Beggars?" he said and we are. "Because I have been given much, I too must give." So lift the struggle off of one another, physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. 

10.  Of course Thomas S Monson spoke the simple but powerful words of "Be merciful, humble, and peacemakers. 

11. Now my favorite apostle David A. Bednar I got to hear him speak Sunday night also, but y'all didn't hear that because it was just to missionarios haha but he spoke on the Character of Christ. We cannot bring others unto Christ if we ourselves have not. Outward is the goal. always be acting outward, the Savior even in his most trying and difficult times of fasting for 40 days and 40 nights or suffering in the Garden, never acted inward and cared for himself. And if we do that, to act as Christ did and take upon his name, we will be perfected in him. This talked changed my life. At least I feel like it did ha and I hope I can become that missionary through our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. 

I have to go now but thanks to those who wrote me. I love each and every one of you back home and I'm praying for y'all. I love you so much and I can't wait to hear from you all next week! Tchau! xoxo 

- Elder Decker


No comments:

Post a Comment